Photobucket

Sunday, March 29, 2009

Lessons along the way

This past week has left me a little disappointed. I fully anticipated being able to get so much done. It just didn't work out that way. I look at those home design shows on TV differently. They are some kinda crazy, factory, robot producing crew. I have NO IDEA how they work and finish off makeovers so quickly! SERIOUSLY?! I'm constantly running into new problems or dilemmas and then on top of that sitting and waiting for the workers to finish what I've hired them for so I can get in and do what I NEED to do.

What I have learned...Kitchen counter replacement is a lengthy job. Two full days for the tear out and installation. And just as everyone said it is a MESSY JOB! I have an inch of dust all over EVERYTHING in the garage!

When you have other workers coming into your house to work, you won't be able to do what you planned on because they need in the space you also need in. :)

Peeling wallpaper is a tedious task and takes much longer than anticipated. I've probably got a good 3-4 hours left to finish off the kitchen. Then only 2 more rooms...YIPPEE! Lesson Learned...Wallpaper is EVIL. Today I vow to NEVER put wallpaper up in a house in my life! I hope the wallpaper trend from the 80s and 90s NEVER comes back! I don't care if you think that design is so cute...it's NOT! Get some fabric of it and make a pillow, but DO NOT put wallpaper up in your house!!! If you need to learn this lesson, I'm more than happy to let you come over and peel some wallpaper so you can learn that lesson REAL GOOD! :)

CraigsList is ABSOLUTELY AMAZING! I posted my washer and dryer on there and within 30 min. began receiving phone calls and less than 24 hours later had them sold and picked up. And actually sold them for more than I anticipated. I set my price a little higher fully anticipating having to negotiate down the price, but thinking by doing this I'd end up right where I wanted it sold for. But the guy came right in and bought it up at my listed price. YIPPEE! So another tip set your price right and people are more likely to buy! Some of the postings were a little ridiculous. It's a USED washer and Dryer...yeah I want to make a little money off them, but more importantly I want them outta here. Set a good price, you get the phone calls, and it's GONE. Some of those postings are still up a week later...uh you may wanna rethink your price!

Sorry no pictures of progress yet. I've got more to do. I can't wait to get all of these FABULOUS designs outta my head and posted on here for yall to see! :)

2 comments:

Wendy said...

Have you tried the chemicals and steam on the wallpaper? We had good luck with that method at my mom's house. We have tile guys in today finishing up some major tile work. I will email you pictures soon....by the end of the week.

Katy said...

Going through "some" of this re-doing myself. I've done all of the painting in the house myself (w/ help from Jeff...mostly me though, b/c I do it while he's at work).
We have floors torn up, floors READY be torn up and more to paint here.
I would LOVE to put new countertops down, but ya know...it's expensive...guess I'll start saving up for that for the kitchen.
Wallpaper, AGREE w/ you...it is straight from Hades for sure. My cousin and I took down some that was in my entry (when we first moved in this house) and it had been up since the 60's. It did NOT want to come down. We were going to paint the wall, but ended up putting more wallpaper up b/c some of the wall was damaged a bit from the previous paper. UGH! Oh, well.
Hey, you and your mom should come to Family Camp this year...Johnna and I missed you last year. You can meet the rest of my kids...they're funny.

Ok, enough of my novel I've written.
Have a great rest of the day.